My Trip to the ER

Interesting and frustrating weekend.
This was the first weekend I allowed myself to get out and do stuff. In a long time. The last few weekends I have spent my time laid up on the couch relaxing and avoiding Dr. Google.
But this weekend we had a family reunion, an Octoberfest party to attend and a dear friend to visit with. It was busy.

Friday I was a hormonal mess. I called Barry ranting and raving in a belligerent rage. And even though I knew how irrational I sounded I couldn’t stop myself. That was very frustrating. It felt like an out of body experience.
Even after begrudgingly apologizing, I continued to sulk in my personal anger. Next morning, I was totally fine. lol

Saturday we had a family reunion. If the family didn’t know I was pg before, they know now. It’s become difficult to hide it with my bloated tummy. Family proceeded to gush over me in excitement. I just kept telling them not to get too excited since it is so early still. But I felt fine Friday and felt great on Saturday.

After the reunion I bravely bought one pair of maternity work slacks and one pair of jeans…I’m too scared to commit to more right now, though I really should.
So for now I have a hairband keeping my regular jeans together and I wear only baggy shirts.

I had 2.5 days of no spotting, which was amazing! I was starting to feel even more comfortable, seeing that clear cm!
Then this afternoon it returned.

On and off spotting is really what concerns me.
So I called my nurse since the spotting was random and brought on by nothing. No exam, no sex, nothing. She wasn’t worried and told me to go home to rest. An hour later I’m sitting on the couch writing this exact entry when I cough. As soon as I did, I could feel the warm gush. I ran to the restroom to find bright red bleeding.
Sprung into action, I called my nurse who immediately asked me to go to the ER. We drove to Houston because she made it appear as if I would get to see my doctor if we were in the medical center.
I was admitted at 7pm and had bloodwork and urine samples collected. Then we just waited. Apparently it was a busy night in the ER. Everyone was very nice and helpful but it was just a lot of waiting. (And a lot of scary people in there…)
I was proud. I stayed calm and patient the whole time. Finally I got wheeled to a super fancy ultrasound machine and silently waited as the technician prepped me.
He did an external first, which was my first time to have that done. I watched the screen with my heart in my throat waiting for him to say anything.
Then I saw the heartbeat and even saw the baby moving around. Ok. I can beathe now. Which meant I cried.
I cried and watched the screen. We got to hear the baby’s heartbeat for the first time too.
Tech elluded to nothing…just said the baby had a heartbeat and my cervix was closed and took pictures/recorded meaurements.
We were brought back to the ER where I was finally given a bed at close to 11pm. The ER doctor on call came in, told me the baby looked fine and that he would do a pelvic exam. Both of us were blown away because the doctor looked terrfied as he said this.
He then had me lay on a flat bed, propped my bottom up using a tiny hard bedpan and tried to insert the speculum using some kind of twisting method. Painful and unsuccessful since he was unable to see anything. He then attempted to feel ther cervix to make sure it was closed and stated, “Well, it feels closed, so I think you are fine.” You THINK?! …seriously?
Obviously this guy had no clue what he was doing. Awesome.

He went back to relay the message to my doctor who looked over everything and said I was fine. ER doc began discharge paperwork. We left at 1am. -_-
So tired!!!!

I went for a follow up this morning. The bleeding seems to have stopped completely, just some old blood at this point. Dr. C saw me right away. He was very upset about the way everything went down, apparently, and eager to check me to make sure I was ok. The nurse had swabs and culture stuff set up but he refused to do them, citing that I had already been poked and prodded enough. Thanks, Dr. C!! 🙂 My poor insides are a bit sore.
He took one look at the baby and the reports from last night and was satisfied. Baby looked great. He reassured me everything was fine and that all he wants to see at this point is a baby that is moving around and a strong heartbeat.
My urine sample did reveal a slight UTI. Awesome. Apparently if something might happen during pregnancy it will happen to me. AND he was able to figure out what caused the bleed: a subchorionic bleed. Also apparently common.
I have been put on more antibiotics and a week of bedrest.
Which led to a fluster of HR department phone calls to try to get my FMLA coverage situated. *deep sigh* As a teacher I only get 7 days in a WHOLE SCHOOL YEAR of sick leave. Yes, you read correctly. I had already used 3 of those days for the egg retirval and embryo transfer and one for today leaving me with 3 for the rest of the year. Not going to work, clearly. So I have to get that paperwork in order.

That was my scary visit. Everything seems to be fine, baby is doing great, bleeding has stopped and I have a free week off work. Nothing about getting pregnant or this pregnancy is going to be “normal”. But my family has been amazing through it all!!! My in-laws, mother and grandparents met us at the ER and have offered so much help.
Barry’s cousin was up until 1:30am praying for us, my fertility friends all over the world have been praying, my co-workers and close friends have been nothing but supportive.
And through it all I have had a sense of peace and hope.

Thank you, Lord!!! Life is good right now and I am another day pregnant.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s